A Sunday morning run in the big Monsanto Park near my apartment, then downtown on the Metro to attend an exposition of Lisbon showing off its best seafood chefs accompanied by wine from Portugal’s best vineyards. I got tastings from a couple of the restaurants (an excellent lula, or squid, dish and a good fish stew made by some famous chef to the accompaniment of TV cameras and lights). At the entrance, they gave me a wine glass that could be used to get tastings of wine from the 15 or so vineyards, each with 4 or 5 selections, for as long as I wanted. After a bit of that, it was time to hike up to the Castelo de Sao Jorge to clear the head. The castle is on a hill near the waterfront (Rio Tejo) overlooking Lisbon. In some ways Lisbon reminds me of San Francisco, only with a lot more red-tiled roofs and, well, tiles. More on that later. On the way up through the old, narrow, windy streets of Alfama, I heard some fado music, which seemed weird since it was about 2 p.m. It was coming from a tourismo shop. Real fado doesn’t get started until about 10 pm and not really rolling until midnight. I haven’t caught any of that yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Looks like you're having quite the time. Save some seafood and wine for the rest of us!
That bridge does look very San Francisco-y.
Post a Comment